In this workshop, you will learn five unique writing techniques—known as “voices”—that inspire poetic self-expression for all ages and abilities. These five voices make it simple to learn and teach poetic rhythm, sound, simile, metaphor, personification, dialogue, imagery, and detail. Instructor Jennie Linthorst will lead you through her four-session poetry curriculum, which she teaches in the Manhattan Beach Unified School District to enhance writing and reading skills while fostering empathy and social/emotional growth.
You will learn to read poems for personal meaning, and will have the opportunity to write using all five voices, including how to combine them to create a fresh, personal piece.
This workshop is perfect for educators, therapists, and facilitators looking to add fresh tools for teaching poetry to adults and children, and is open to anyone wishing to deepen their artistic self-expression during an enlightening day of creative self-discovery. No writing experience needed.
Saturday, March 3, 2018
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
$65.00Add CEs to cart.
Jennie Linthorst, MA, CAPF
TBD in Los Angeles
“Jennie’s gentle energy creates a safe haven in which my 3rd graders can write with their hearts. As one of my students stated, she inspires them to 'reach into our souls and write what is important inside of us.' ” — Nancy Robertson, Grand View Elementary School
“Jennie is a beautiful, trusting guide who encourages a journey of self-exploration through writing. She provides the needed tools, inspiration, emotional support and a sort of road map to the heart of your soul allowing for surprising realizations and unexpected gifts.” — Julee H.
Provider number = 4468
Continuing Education credits for LCSWs, MFTs, and RNs can be requested during the registration process for an additional $30. This course meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Continuing Education Units for RNs are provided by Helen Kiger, Provider No. CEP10957. This class is approved for 6 contact hours of continuing education credit for RNs as required by the CA Board of Registered Nursing. If you are interested in CEUs for RNs, then advance notice is required, as we are unfortunately not able to accommodate RN CEU requests on the day of the program. For RN CEU requests, simply let us know via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject header, "RN CEU Request," so we can ensure we have the appropriate paperwork prepared for you on the day of the program.
learning objectives for ceus:
1. Participants will learn how to use writing techniques of rhythm, sound, simile, metaphor, personification, dialogue, imagery, and detail to enhance artistic self-expression.
2. Participants will learn how to enhance empathy skills through writing, sharing, and giving supportive feedback.
3. Participants will experience the poetry therapy process of reading and responding to poems by exploring personal meanings and interpretations as a way to inspire writing.
4. Participants will experience the therapeutic value of exploring identity through writing.
5. Educators will learn fresh techniques for the classroom to enhance California K-12 standards of narrative writing and reading skills.
6. Nurses will be able to state two ways in which these poetry techniques can be useful in the practice of nursing.