Santa Monica Repertory Theater, Storey Productions, and UCLArts & Healing presents . . .
A monthly storytelling event Thursday evenings @7:00 p.m.
Listen to inspiring true stories from experienced and new storytellers on monthly themes—and volunteer to share your own.
Spend a Thursday evening with SHINE: listen to stories, hear live music, and mingle with writers, performers, and interesting people. Each event features seven true stories. Invited storytellers are booked in advance from public submissions; however, there will be one open slot at each event for audience members to put their names in a hat for selection as a guest storyteller.
upcoming event dates and themes:
Thursday, November 16 at 7:00 pm: "Unexpected Grace"
Acts of kindness or forgiveness from unexpected people or in surprising ways.
Thursday, November 16, 2017
Doors open at 6:30 pm for ticket purchase and guest storyteller signup. Show starts at 7:00 pm.
Regular Admission: $12
Santa Monica Playhouse
–Jenna Pittaway, Life in LA
Invited storytellers will be selected from advance submissions and "curated." Submissions are open to the public. Storytellers will be listed in publicity for the event and on SHINE's website.
interested storytellers must submit:
- A story idea, written in full or synopsis, using the story guidelines below
- Brief biography of up to 100 words
- Links to video clips or other work samples that represent you as a storyteller (Optional)
Interested in being an invited storyteller? Email Isabel Storey for more information. Stories are selected for relevance to the monthly theme, quality, and style of writing or relevant performance clips and videos, and variety in relationship to other submissions for the evening.
Please arrive at 6:30 pm to put your name into a random drawing and be prepared with a story using the guidelines below.
story guidelines for all storytellers:
- Use the monthly theme to shape a story about a revelation or "aha" moment to which your experience led you . . . the moment you put down the baggage and felt the freedom of insight. We are interested in the positive life changes that arrive from story crafting, telling, and listening.
- Each story must be true to the teller as first person or witness.
- Each story must be under 7 minutes long.
- Stories can be read off a page, or performed without notes.
- The most successful storytellers for this event have been honest, authentic, and surprising with a clear beginning, middle, and ending “aha.”
Click here for more information and submission guidelines.
SHINE is produced by Isabel Storey, and co-presented by Santa Monica Repertory Theater, Storey Productions, and UCLArts & Healing.